SENIOR R&D CHEMIST
Our manufacturing client in Durban is looking for a Senior R&D Chemist to join their Durban technical team. The successful incumbent will have solid regulatory affairs experience and be responsible for carrying out duties within the R&D department, as well as managing/mentoring Junior Chemists.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Keeps up to date with relevant regulatory legislation - both locally and internationally. Ensures compliance to regulatory standards as well as safety of existing and new formulations.
- Maintenance of ingredient database.
- Document creation for all products, including product information files, safety data sheets, specification sheets and export documentation.
- Development of new products to meet the demands of a growing global brand.
- Project management of new product development projects as well as reformulation of existing products and changes required; ensures that all projects are delivered on time and in line with agreed performance criteria and cost.
- Advises, directs, coaches, and reviews the work of Junior Formulation Chemists.
- Training and development for production staff on process methods, factory equipment, manufacture of new formulations - as needed.
- Development of manufacturing processes for all formulations on all relevant production equipment; overseeing and running of pilot plant, scale up and production trial batches.
- Troubleshooting for manufacturing issues related to formulation or product and packaging interactions.
- Relevant tertiary qualification - BSc or similar.
- Qualification in Cosmetic Science or similar.
- At least 3 - 5 years' experience working in a similar role.
- Solid legislative / regulatory affairs knowledge - both local and international.
- Able to prepare specifications, label declarations and formulations.
- Ability to work on several projects simultaneously.
- Laboratory etiquette (GLP) as well as an understanding of basic laboratory analysis techniques
- Solid mentoring/management experience.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within 7 days for interview. If not contacted, please consider your application unsuccessful.